Tuesday, July 14, 2009

An Apple a Day does NOT keep the Doctor Away

After battling four weeks of an unshakeable illness, I went to Hillcrest Medical Centre for some much needed attention. I really don’t like going to the doctor in general, but I knew I had to go. I have another 3 ½ weeks to go and I CANNOT go on like this much longer. Let’s do a comparison. First, I went in and filled out 1 form. Yes, only 1 form. Not 4 or 5 like I normally have to do in the States. Secondly, I waited for less than 30 minutes. When the doctor, called me in with her soft Afrikaans accent, I was shocked! But Krystle is not a popular name in Africa; I knew she was referring to me. She talked me through my symptoms and honestly, I didn’t give much thought to the serious nature of my illness until I had to talk about it. I mean, I was in pretty bad shape.

So, she told me she had to give me a shot if I wanted one. Since this is a blog for General Audiences (Rated G), I WILL NOT share my shot information nor will I share pictures of this event. Sorry! After that, she gave me a list of the prescriptions I would need. Next comparison is about cost. So, it was $240 Rand for my doctor visit up front without insurance ($30 USD). No problem.

So I walked next door to the pharmacy. What do you know? I didn’t have to come back in 4 or 5 hours, the pharmacist just count the pills for me and put on the tags, explained how to use them and I was on my way. Now, I am no expert, but I just feel that my care and medication were not about them making money, but just for me to feel better. If only Healthcare were like this in America, maybe I wouldn’t be so apprehensive about going to the doctor at home. I was assured that I would feel better within the next 48 hours and the shot would give my immune system a boost. I just have to keep a schedule to make sure I take everything on time. So, here's the prescriptions:


I am glad that I did go to the doctor because I was miserable and there is no way I could survive another day like I had been. I want to enjoy the work I’m doing here. I need energy to play with the kids and give them my all. After all, that’s what I’m here for!

No comments: