Sunday, July 12, 2009

This Little American Went to the Market

Today I went to Durban (city on the coast) and went to the Sunday Market. It is a huge artisan market. Anything from food, paintings, jewelry, crafts, WHATEVER people can make money with.


Unfortunately, I hit a tough spot and de-magnetized my credit card. So, if you know anything about the credit card stips....don't put it ANYWHERE near magnets. So, I of course have been using my bargaining skills as well as careful shopping to get some goodies to take home.

Again, everyone thinks I am Zulu and they are just talking away. Do they NOT see the confused look on my face. Well, I just kind of do my very best to kindly let them know that I have NO idea what they are talking about. It is good because at least they'll be honest with me on pricing. For the most part, everyone was so nice and even if they charged a lot, this is how they make money. They make these wonderful crafts and they use these talents to make money. It's great. I just wish I had even an ounce of patience they had to make these things.

I wish I had a picture, I wish I did, but I'll try to explain the best way I can: Well, they have boot stompers who perform in the street. Well, there are three guys who just dance and stomp their rubber boots and it is AMAZING. So they perform for minute or so before they freeze in place. When someone puts money in the cup, they UNFREEZE like they have been in a deep sleep for ages. They make the funniest sounds and have funny faces. It was absolutely amazing. I promise that you can stay entertained for HOURS watching them. They are so talented. It's great.

As soon as I got to the market, I made a friend. Andrew. You can ALWAYS use a friend in the market. He and his friends make these beautiful 3-D pictures of animal and wildlife. You know I HAD to look at those. Andrew told me about his life and how he got started and it is just so refreshing to talk to people who just open up and have such a zest for life. He may not be a millionaire but he wakes up happy, does what he has to do for the day by doing what he loves and goes to bed just as happy. Now how great does that sound.

He even gave me a free gift for being a nice person and after we took the picture, he told me we looked like twins. Not sure about that one, but I think I'll take it as a compliment!

1 comment:

Tracey said...

I cant wait to see all of the nice things you'll be bringing home