Thursday, July 9, 2009

Sitembakuye Children’s Home and Outreach

There's only so much I can say about wonderful people in the world. If you were to ask me to name someone or people who truly make a difference, I would have to tell you about Russell and Precious. They are a young couple who decided to take in other kids. They have three kids of their own as well as taking care of Russell's mother. They live in a small two bedroom house that is without water for 2-3 days at a time. They saw a need and addressed it. They now have taken in 9 other children who live on the street. During the day, they also have an outreach program and spend time with other orphans during the day. So, though there are 15 people living in the two bedroom house, they have up to 30 people in and out during the day.

They make beads and jewelry, play games, just sit and talk or play. When I am at their house, I feel so comfortable and AT HOME. Although you won't have a place to sit comfortably, I bet you would feel comfortable at their house.

When I go there, they all run up and hug you and are just so happy. Their smiles are contagious. Even if you were feeling down (which this illness gets me down sometimes), I am immediately pepped up.

The only thing is, I found out, I have no energy to keep up with them. They love to run and jump and play all these games. I am constantly begging for a time-out to catch my breath! I love all the games that they play. You all get around in a circle and just sing and dance and play clapping games. They truly include EVERYONE. The proverb "It takes a Village to Raise a Child" is truly exemplified here. Now, although I don't understand everything they say or sing, I can understand that love is here!

During this day, Russell and Precious arranged for their girls to perform traditional Zulu dancing as well and other groups to come so the kids could see. It was such a treat to see and my plan is to now learn as much as I can.




No comments: