Monday, July 6, 2009

Elephant Stampede

Before this weekend, I can honestly say that everything I learned about African animals was from watching the Lion King. That has all changed. Now, let me tell you something. Disney fills your head with the good stuff, but it's all a misconception. I guess I learn better when I am in the "classroom"

Now, how many of you can say you have been face to face with a lion? Well, I have! It was GREAT. Scary, exciting, dangerous, life-changing, just incredible. I saw hundreds of zebra, buffalo, giraffe, buck, monkeys, baboons, warthogs. I mean, I saw it all! This is where you go if you want to learn the best about life in the African Wild!


Since it's winter and the dry season, there's not a lot of water. The waterholes are all dry and it's hard to find water sources. Even the rivers have run low, but I managed to find them...even lions resting by the river. It was so great to see the male lion all regal and royal watching over his pride while they were resting. I will save you the pics of the buffalo carcass, unless you want to see it and send a special request. It was quite gross, but all a part of the circle of life.





Well, the most exciting for me and by far the scariest was getting trapped by Hundreds...yes HUNDREDS of elephants. The elephants CHARGED the car twice. You do NOT want to play with elephants. They are HUGE. I can't believe I was so close to them. It was absolutely amazing. They are such beautiful creatures. Well, they had all their little babies with them and like any mother would be, they are so protective. It was great. Just to be in the wild and to know that you are NOT on the top of the food chain. All I can say is WOW!






One of the hits was looking at all the babies: The little bitty (well not really) elephants, lions, warthogs, giraffes, rhinos, and baboons. Just to see them protect their little ones and searching for them was so beautiful. They were just little versions of their parents. And the warthogs, elephants and rhinos would have torn you to pieces if you even looked like you were going to bother their babies.

Now I can't upload every picture I have, but I promise you if you want to see the GOOD THE BAD and the UGLY, I have it!

No comments: